All Academic, Inc. Research Logo

Info/CitationFAQResearchAll Academic Inc.
Document

A Functional Approach to Political Advertising
Unformatted Document Text:  12 work because of Lee’s unreasonable opposition from the political considerations (shifting blame). Concerning candidate status, the third hypothesis predicts that incumbent party candidate acclaims more than challenger party candidate, whereas challenger party candidate attacks more than incumbent party candidate. This hypothesis is supported ( χ 2 = 8.57, df=1, p<.001). The incumbent party candidate, Lee, devoted 62% of his themes to acclaims, whereas his challenger, Kim, used acclaims as only 42% of his comments. On the other hand, the challenger attacked in 58% of his utterances, whereas the incumbent attacked only in 38%. Brazeal and Benoit (2001) suggest that in order for a challenger to win an election, he or she needs to provide voters with a reason to change. The findings in this study confirm their suggestion. Again, incumbents rely more on acclaims than attacks, whereas challengers resort more to attacks than acclaims. The data are provided in Table 3. Insert Table 3 here Even though no hypothesis is set for the relationship between candidate status and topic (policy vs. character), this study finds that there is no statistically significant difference between them. In other words, both candidates almost equally addressed policy and character. The second research question focuses on how forms of topics are related to incumbent status. As shown below in Table 4, results indicate that the incumbent party candidate addressed topics statistically differently than the challenger party candidate

Authors: Lee, Cheolhan. and Choi, Yun Jung.
first   previous   Page 12 of 24   next   last



background image
12
work because of Lee’s unreasonable opposition from the political considerations (shifting
blame).
Concerning candidate status, the third hypothesis predicts that incumbent party
candidate acclaims more than challenger party candidate, whereas challenger party
candidate attacks more than incumbent party candidate. This hypothesis is supported (
χ
2
= 8.57, df=1, p<.001). The incumbent party candidate, Lee, devoted 62% of his themes
to acclaims, whereas his challenger, Kim, used acclaims as only 42% of his comments.
On the other hand, the challenger attacked in 58% of his utterances, whereas the
incumbent attacked only in 38%.
Brazeal and Benoit (2001) suggest that in order for a challenger to win an
election, he or she needs to provide voters with a reason to change. The findings in this
study confirm their suggestion. Again, incumbents rely more on acclaims than attacks,
whereas challengers resort more to attacks than acclaims. The data are provided in Table
3.
Insert Table 3 here
Even though no hypothesis is set for the relationship between candidate status and
topic (policy vs. character), this study finds that there is no statistically significant
difference between them. In other words, both candidates almost equally addressed
policy and character.
The second research question focuses on how forms of topics are related to
incumbent status. As shown below in Table 4, results indicate that the incumbent party
candidate addressed topics statistically differently than the challenger party candidate


Convention
All Academic Convention can solve the abstract management needs for any association's annual meeting.
Submission - Custom fields, multiple submission types, tracks, audio visual, multiple upload formats, automatic conversion to pdf.
Review - Peer Review, Bulk reviewer assignment, bulk emails, ranking, z-score statistics, and multiple worksheets!
Reports - Many standard and custom reports generated while you wait. Print programs with participant indexes, event grids, and more!
Scheduling - Flexible and convenient grid scheduling within rooms and buildings. Conflict checking and advanced filtering.
Communication - Bulk email tools to help your administrators send reminders and responses. Use form letters, a message center, and much more!
Management - Search tools, duplicate people management, editing tools, submission transfers, many tools to manage a variety of conference management headaches!
Click here for more information.

first   previous   Page 12 of 24   next   last

©2012 All Academic, Inc.