All Academic, Inc. Research Logo

Info/CitationFAQResearchAll Academic Inc.
Document

A Typology of Framing Research: It needs to be tangible
Unformatted Document Text:  A Typology of Framing Research-- 6 find the difference in conceptualization of framing effects between Entman (1993) and Kahneman and Tversky (1984). Dramatic reverse in preferences was still seen: Imagine that you face the following pair of concurrent decisions. First examine both decisions, then indicate the options you prefer. Decision ( ) Choose between: A. a sure gain of $ 240 (84%) B. 25% chance to gain $1000 and 75% chance to gain nothing (16%) Decision ( ) Choose between: C. a sure loss of $750 (13%) D. 75% chance to lose $1000 and 25% chance to lose nothing (87%) The choice is not likely to depend upon mentally represented knowledge structure and that’s why Kahneman and Tversky (1984) said that “framing effects resemble perceptual illusions more than computational errors” (p. 343). Another confusion results from the debate about whether framing should be viewed as natural extensions of agenda-setting or not. For the part that treats framing as an important aspect of agenda-setting, frame-setting is nothing but second-level agenda-setting (or attribute agenda- setting) concerned with the salience of issue attribute whereas agenda-setting is concerned with the salience of issues (McCombs, Llamas, Lopez-Escobar, & Rey, 1997; McCombs, Lopez- Escobar, & Llamas, 2000). They argue that, although attribute agenda-setting and framing are competing in conceptualization and empirical approach at this point (McCombs, Lopez-Escobar, & Llamas, 2000), “further theoretical elaboration of the agenda-setting perspective with a

Authors: Choi, Jinmyung.
first   previous   Page 6 of 32   next   last



background image
A Typology of Framing Research-- 6
find the difference in conceptualization of framing effects between Entman (1993) and
Kahneman and Tversky (1984). Dramatic reverse in preferences was still seen:
Imagine that you face the following pair of concurrent decisions. First examine
both decisions, then indicate the options you prefer.
Decision ( ) Choose between:
A. a sure gain of $ 240 (84%)
B. 25% chance to gain $1000 and 75% chance to gain nothing (16%)
Decision ( ) Choose between:
C. a sure loss of $750 (13%)
D. 75% chance to lose $1000 and 25% chance to lose nothing (87%)
The choice is not likely to depend upon mentally represented knowledge structure and
that’s why Kahneman and Tversky (1984) said that “framing effects resemble perceptual
illusions more than computational errors” (p. 343).
Another confusion results from the debate about whether framing should be viewed as
natural extensions of agenda-setting or not. For the part that treats framing as an important aspect
of agenda-setting, frame-setting is nothing but second-level agenda-setting (or attribute agenda-
setting) concerned with the salience of issue attribute whereas agenda-setting is concerned with
the salience of issues (McCombs, Llamas, Lopez-Escobar, & Rey, 1997; McCombs, Lopez-
Escobar, & Llamas, 2000). They argue that, although attribute agenda-setting and framing are
competing in conceptualization and empirical approach at this point (McCombs, Lopez-Escobar,
& Llamas, 2000), “further theoretical elaboration of the agenda-setting perspective with a


Convention
Submission, Review, and Scheduling! All Academic Convention can help with all of your abstract management needs and many more. Contact us today for a quote!
Submission - Custom fields, multiple submission types, tracks, audio visual, multiple upload formats, automatic conversion to pdf.
Review - Peer Review, Bulk reviewer assignment, bulk emails, ranking, z-score statistics, and multiple worksheets!
Reports - Many standard and custom reports generated while you wait. Print programs with participant indexes, event grids, and more!
Scheduling - Flexible and convenient grid scheduling within rooms and buildings. Conflict checking and advanced filtering.
Communication - Bulk email tools to help your administrators send reminders and responses. Use form letters, a message center, and much more!
Management - Search tools, duplicate people management, editing tools, submission transfers, many tools to manage a variety of conference management headaches!
Click here for more information.

first   previous   Page 6 of 32   next   last

©2012 All Academic, Inc.