Citation

Impact of investing on empowering adolescent girls: Evidence from the GEM Model of Pact Ethiopia

Abstract | Word Stems | Keywords | Association | Citation | Similar Titles



Abstract:

The paper evaluates the impact of Girls’ Empowerment Project of pact Ethiopia on adolescent girls in 15 secondary schools situated in three regions of Ethiopia.

The Girls’ Empowerment and Management Project (GEM) is a pilot implemented by Pact Ethiopia for two and half years funded by NIKE Foundation. The project works to empower secondary school adolescent girls through providing support that enables them to continue their education and to access opportunities that will improve their status in the country. The project has four objectives: maintain status of adolescent girls in secondary schools and reduce drop-outs, increase leadership skill among adolescent girls, improve life skill of adolescent girls and build capacities of secondary schools to better support adolescent girls and respond to their needs in a sustainable manner.

A total of 500 adolescent girls have participated in this pilot program. Most of the participating girls (63.6%) are living in rural agricultural community. The age of these girls varies between 15 and 20 years of age. 82.3% and 10.3% of the participants are never married and married respectively. 82.7% are Christians of different denominations while 15.4% are Muslims. The majority of participating girls (53%) are from Amhara ethnic groups and Anuak, Nuer, Oromo, Konso and Dorze ethnic groups constitute the remaining 47%.

Through qualitative and quantitative methods this paper assesses particular model of empowering adolescent girls. The result of the evaluation shows that due to the different support of the project the grade average point has shown improvement for 36.7% of program participants in high school. The paper indicates that 55 % of the program beneficiaries also scored a Grade Average Point which enables them to join preparatory class (grade 11) or Technical and Vocational Education and Training institutions after taking the 10th grade exit exam. Remarkable improvements are also observed on girls’ knowledge and perception with respect to human/women rights, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases and harmful traditional practices.

Author's Keywords:

Empowering adolescent girls
Convention
Need a solution for abstract management? All Academic can help! Contact us today to find out how our system can help your annual meeting.
Submission - Custom fields, multiple submission types, tracks, audio visual, multiple upload formats, automatic conversion to pdf.Review - Peer Review, Bulk reviewer assignment, bulk emails, ranking, z-score statistics, and multiple worksheets!
Reports - Many standard and custom reports generated while you wait. Print programs with participant indexes, event grids, and more!Scheduling - Flexible and convenient grid scheduling within rooms and buildings. Conflict checking and advanced filtering.
Communication - Bulk email tools to help your administrators send reminders and responses. Use form letters, a message center, and much more!Management - Search tools, duplicate people management, editing tools, submission transfers, many tools to manage a variety of conference management headaches!
Click here for more information.

Association:
Name: 53rd Annual Conference of the Comparative and International Education Society
URL:
http://www.cies.us


Citation:
URL: http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p302970_index.html
Direct Link:
HTML Code:

MLA Citation:

Kassa, Bilen. "Impact of investing on empowering adolescent girls: Evidence from the GEM Model of Pact Ethiopia" Paper presented at the annual meeting of the 53rd Annual Conference of the Comparative and International Education Society, Francis Marion Hotel, Charleston, South Carolina, Mar 22, 2009 <Not Available>. 2014-11-29 <http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p302970_index.html>

APA Citation:

Kassa, B. T. , 2009-03-22 "Impact of investing on empowering adolescent girls: Evidence from the GEM Model of Pact Ethiopia" Paper presented at the annual meeting of the 53rd Annual Conference of the Comparative and International Education Society, Francis Marion Hotel, Charleston, South Carolina <Not Available>. 2014-11-29 from http://citation.allacademic.com/meta/p302970_index.html

Publication Type: Conference Paper/Unpublished Manuscript
Review Method: Peer Reviewed
Abstract: The paper evaluates the impact of Girls’ Empowerment Project of pact Ethiopia on adolescent girls in 15 secondary schools situated in three regions of Ethiopia.

The Girls’ Empowerment and Management Project (GEM) is a pilot implemented by Pact Ethiopia for two and half years funded by NIKE Foundation. The project works to empower secondary school adolescent girls through providing support that enables them to continue their education and to access opportunities that will improve their status in the country. The project has four objectives: maintain status of adolescent girls in secondary schools and reduce drop-outs, increase leadership skill among adolescent girls, improve life skill of adolescent girls and build capacities of secondary schools to better support adolescent girls and respond to their needs in a sustainable manner.

A total of 500 adolescent girls have participated in this pilot program. Most of the participating girls (63.6%) are living in rural agricultural community. The age of these girls varies between 15 and 20 years of age. 82.3% and 10.3% of the participants are never married and married respectively. 82.7% are Christians of different denominations while 15.4% are Muslims. The majority of participating girls (53%) are from Amhara ethnic groups and Anuak, Nuer, Oromo, Konso and Dorze ethnic groups constitute the remaining 47%.

Through qualitative and quantitative methods this paper assesses particular model of empowering adolescent girls. The result of the evaluation shows that due to the different support of the project the grade average point has shown improvement for 36.7% of program participants in high school. The paper indicates that 55 % of the program beneficiaries also scored a Grade Average Point which enables them to join preparatory class (grade 11) or Technical and Vocational Education and Training institutions after taking the 10th grade exit exam. Remarkable improvements are also observed on girls’ knowledge and perception with respect to human/women rights, reproductive health, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases and harmful traditional practices.


Similar Titles:
The Impact of Incarceration on Criminality: Evidence from Multiple Models

The impact of conditional cash transfer and economic strengthening interventions on academic performance of adolescent girls

Coping with Crime– Impact of Faith in Prevention and Maintenance in Adolescent Girls

Beyond primary school: Empowering adolescent girls and women as role models and future educators


 
All Academic, Inc. is your premier source for research and conference management. Visit our website, www.allacademic.com, to see how we can help you today.