All Academic, Inc. Research Logo

Info/CitationFAQResearchAll Academic Inc.
Document

International News Coverage of Human Trafficking Arrests and Prosecutions: A Content Analytic Study
Unformatted Document Text:  factoring in the number of articles assigned to sets of cases (163), was 191. 18 Attribute coding by case This study implemented attribute coding for each case in order to cultivate a greater understanding of the individuals involved at all stages of the trafficking act. The literature review in the previous chapter suggests that information regarding human trafficking is limited because research is lacking regarding specific traits of the trafficker, trafficked individual and the trafficking event. The coding instrument constructed for this study in order to obtain information from news accounts of human trafficking focused on the following characteristics of both the trafficker and trafficked individual: age, gender, initiation of transport, trafficker cooperation with others, method of transport, offender employment, previous arrests and convictions of trafficker, regions of arrest and origination, role of trafficker, and type of geographical move. The aforementioned characteristics were divided into fifteen attribute variables for coding purposes (See Appendix, Table 19). • Age of trafficker was divided into the following valuations: o Unassigned, which was utilized if the article did not identify the age of trafficker or traffickers; o 18-25; o 26-35; o 36 and older; 18 Of the 354 articles transferred into the NVivo database, 140 (39%) articles were captured by the “human smuggling arrest” and “human smuggling prosecution” search tag lines. Of these 140 articles, 30 (21%) were captured in the other search taglines. Of the 110 (79%) articles captured only in the “human smuggling” related taglines, 65 (59%) articles were directly related to incidents characterized in the article and by law enforcement as human trafficking. 33

Authors: Denton, Erin.
first   previous   Page 45 of 110   next   last



background image
factoring in the number of articles assigned to sets of cases (163), was 191.
Attribute coding by case
This study implemented attribute coding for each case in order to cultivate 
a greater understanding of the individuals involved at all stages of the trafficking 
act.  The literature review in the previous chapter suggests that information 
regarding human trafficking is limited because research is lacking regarding 
specific traits of the trafficker, trafficked individual and the trafficking event.  The 
coding instrument constructed for this study in order to obtain information from 
news accounts of human trafficking focused on the following characteristics of 
both the trafficker and trafficked individual: age, gender, initiation of transport, 
trafficker cooperation with others, method of transport, offender employment, 
previous arrests and convictions of trafficker, regions of arrest and origination, 
role of trafficker, and type of geographical move.  The aforementioned 
characteristics were divided into fifteen attribute variables for coding purposes 
(See Appendix, Table 19).
Age of trafficker was divided into the following valuations: 
o Unassigned, which was utilized if the article did not identify the 
age of trafficker or traffickers; 
o 18-25; 
o 26-35; 
o 36 and older; 
18
  Of the 354 articles transferred into the NVivo database, 140 (39%) articles were captured by 
the “human smuggling arrest” and “human smuggling prosecution” search tag lines.  Of these 
140 articles, 30 (21%) were captured in the other search taglines.  Of the 110 (79%) articles 
captured only in the “human smuggling” related taglines, 65 (59%) articles were directly related 
to incidents characterized in the article and by law enforcement as human trafficking.
33


Convention
Convention is an application service for managing large or small academic conferences, annual meetings, and other types of events!
Submission - Custom fields, multiple submission types, tracks, audio visual, multiple upload formats, automatic conversion to pdf.
Review - Peer Review, Bulk reviewer assignment, bulk emails, ranking, z-score statistics, and multiple worksheets!
Reports - Many standard and custom reports generated while you wait. Print programs with participant indexes, event grids, and more!
Scheduling - Flexible and convenient grid scheduling within rooms and buildings. Conflict checking and advanced filtering.
Communication - Bulk email tools to help your administrators send reminders and responses. Use form letters, a message center, and much more!
Management - Search tools, duplicate people management, editing tools, submission transfers, many tools to manage a variety of conference management headaches!
Click here for more information.

first   previous   Page 45 of 110   next   last

©2012 All Academic, Inc.